Friday, July 20, 2007

backstory


- Time for some back story on why this blog exists.
I grew up in a place and during a time when coffee was something that came in a can and usually had 'flavor crystals.' In college I learned a little more about what coffee could taste like, but still really had no idea. It wasn't until after college, when I moved to San Francisco that I discovered how it could be...mmmm...coffee.
This place is the shit. period. Great atmosphere and charm. Fantastic coffee and snacks. I discovered the place while exploring North Beach for the first time on my Suzuki SV650 motorcycle. I was riding past and saw a mess of cool and unique looking motorcycles sitting outside and had to stop and check them out. One thing lead to another and POW! I was sitting outside on a perfectly gray SF day having the best cappuccino of my life. That was it. Addiction set in and I was finished.
I ended up working south of Market at an interactive agency and I would hop on my bike for coffee breaks and zip over to Trieste for a quick capp or shot of espresso. So that set the standard. For my remaining years in SF I would try other spots out, but would always end up back at Trieste. My shelter from the fog, cold and work day routine.

I left SF many years later and ventured to Phoenix for a brief stay with my brother. Things looked really bad on the coffee front at first. Well to be honest, things looked bad on ALL fronts. That town really blows, but that could be a whole other blog. So I eventually found a good spot through this wacky-ass girl I met at a Sigur Ros show. Lux is a nice little spot right on Central in the middle of Phoenix proper. Good atmosphere and solid coffee. Nice accomplishment in the middle of the desert of both climate and culture.

After Phoenix I moved to my present home, Los Angeles. Big place. Very spread out and scattered, kinda like the people. So I of course immediately began looking for my new Trieste or Lux...and looking and looking. And in short form that is how we got to here.

As things go along I will define in greater detail what it is about Trieste that makes it the standard, as well as what I think defines coffee perfection.
One quick note for future reference. In this blog I will mostly type the word "coffee" but more often than not I really mean cappuccino or espresso. I really only drink cafe americano in the winer when it is cold or with breakfast at a greasy spoon type place.

ciao for now.

4 comments:

davidnoles said...

cafe trieste. when san francisco was like a siren drawing us all out of new york across all that raw land that rolls in one unbelievable huge bulge over to the west coast, and all that road going, all the people dreaming in the immensity of it, and in iowa we knew by then the children must have been crying in the land where they let the children cry, and we thought of cafe trieste, we even thought of old cafe trieste the mother we never found, we thought of cafe trieste.

Coffee Black said...

yes, YES! You understand, don't you. You do. Yes.

davidnoles said...

love the coffee cup - either it's an old italian poster or an edward hopper painting. yo yo. anyway, i'm off to starbucks-SNAP!!!

davidnoles said...

check it. i needed a coffee early this morning. no cafe's were open. only starbucks at highland & franklin. i couldn't stomach the crap espresso drinks so went with the regular joe, black w/ sugar. i would describe the flavor as "surprising", "confounding", "mysterious". i couldn't put my finger on what clothing they had washed in the coffee that morning but it may have been a basket of socks. this is just a guess.