Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Kaldi Coffee & Tea

Been gone a while, sorry bout that. Back now with two for you.
First up:
Kaldi Coffee and Tea
3147 Glendale Blvd
Los Angeles, CA 90039
(323) 660-6005

This is a tiny little spot around the corner from where I serve my daytime sentence out. Originally it was owned by a couple of regular guys who would alternately hang around and pull coffee all day. I would pop in and talk coffee and the weather like everyone else. They seemed like good guys and the fact that they had pulled together and started their own spot really struck a chord in me. So, I would go there ALL THE TIME. Any excuse to stop by and get my fix, even if it was no where near our lunch spot for that day. I wanted to support the little guy, and did.
Well time passed, I managed to leave and return to my reason for being in the hood, and they were still there. One day I stopped by and learned that they were selling it to new owners...not good news for me, but perhaps good coin for my fellow upstarts, so be it.
Honestly, I can't say anything about the new owner(s). I think I met one of them once, shortly after the sale, but I can't be sure. None the less, I was seriously dubious about the quality maintaining and the service being as personal. And on the few occaisions that I did stop by, the experience was definitely varied. (Exposition ends here)
Today I stopped by with my good friend Chris (a man who UNDERSTANDS baking). We were greated by a pleasant young woman wearing a cool shirt that read: "Snorkling is sexy" Being men who appreciate women, we both agreed. :)
Anyways, I got a cappuccino and Chris got some crazy, fluffy-sweet, latte-type thing with whipped cream (the man likes his sweets).
I broke tradition and got it to go in the obligatory paper cup. While we were talking and she was preparing I noticed the attention she paid to the process and how she cleaned everything as she went along...very good signs. I noticed her concentration and technique in creating the foam and froth...more good signs. She presented and we paid, I tipped.

- REVIEW -
- Coffee -
**
Good flavor. Distinct. Not ideally thick and rich, but definitely on the map of good flavor.
They claim to roast their own coffee, but I don't remember her actually grinding the beans...

- Foam -
**1/2
Very nice consistancy and bubble size. She asked what kind of milk and I responded with Whole milk.
I believe it paid off in flavor and thickness.

- Presentation -
**
Not holding the paper cup against them since it was my choice,
but I am subtracting for not asking me in what I wanted it served.
All in all she presented our coffees like it mattered and not like it was something she was doing on the way to another chore.

- Overall -
**
Nice work young lady and good choice Kaldi for hiring someone who knows what they are doing.

3 comments:

davidnoles said...

nice. welcome back t-mud. but you promised 2 reviews... what's with?

Coffee Black said...

Noles,

Any reviews are more than none, which is your tally so far...

davidnoles said...

SNAP!